Sony's PS5 Is Likely Several Years Away

Nichole VegaApr 13, 2018

It was five years after the launch of the original PlayStation that we got Gran Turismo 2, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Driver and Spider-Man: titles that really pushed the 3D graphics architecture. It would only make sense to launch the next one after a while. A new report from Kotaku suggests that the PlayStation 5 release date is still at least a couple of years away.

Last week, SemiAccurate claimed that Sony had shipped a large number of PS5 development kits to game developers.

Two people, who claimed to be directly familiar with Sony's plans for the PlayStation 5, did not know exactly when the new console will be coming out, just like everyone else. At this point, the most likely scenario would be Sony announcing the PS4 successor sometime in 2020, or possibly later than that. Any surprise move by Microsoft or another rival might force the company to change its plans.

Most of the developers Schreier spoke with did not hear anything about plans for a new PlayStation, including employees at Sony's first-party studios and studios working on games scheduled for 2019 and beyond.

Throughout his participation, he was questioned about the hypothetical PlayStation 5. Kotaku's sources mention 2020 being a more believable timeframe.

A dev kit is an early builds of a console's likely hardware, and early dev kits are usually just a PC built to a certain spec.

Speaking during the GamesBeat conference, ex-PlayStation Boss Andrew House talked about how Xbox One X and PlayStation 4 Pro has increased the life cycle of the current console cycle and how PlayStation 4 still has a long life.

God of War is the biggest PS4 release of the year so far, and with an aggregated score of 94 on Metacritic, it is also the highest-rated game of 2018 on any platform. "If you're going to tap into some of these [developing] markets, then allowing for that more traditional physical purchase model as an option is probably no bad thing". To be precise, he says there is 75% probability it would launch in 2020 and 25% probability of a PlayStation 5 release date in 2019.

Related Articles:



« Previous article
Next article »


Popular Pages

Long Term Trend: Kinder Morgan, Inc. (KMI)
NDP government, for its part, will now have to stand up to what may be serious economic attacks from both Ottawa and Alberta. Such an arrangement might see the government providing loan guarantees or actual equity stakes in the pipeline.

Traumatic Brain Injuries Are Tied to Dementia
It is important to avoid other behaviors that may promote dementia, such as smoking or increased alcohol consumption. Of those, 5.3 percent had sustained at least one TBI during the observation period, which began in 1977.

Dwayne Johnson Confirms Planned 2019 Filming Start Date For 'Black Adam'
Johnson's remarks here sound eerily familiar to something he told MTV News nearly a year ago to the day. A new report suggests the production and shooting of DC's Black Adam might probably begin in 2019.

New York Tabloids Didn't Take Red Sox's Drubbing Of Yankees Very Well
Stanton struck out his first two times to bat on just seven pitches, though he finished 2-for-4. "Much better", Stanton said. But with Boston bursting for nine runs in a very lengthy bottom of the sixth inning, his services were no longer needed.

Cosby lawyers launch fierce attack on 'con artist' accuser
Rochelle didn't have any negative encounters with Cosby as a child on the show, the actress told the Associated Press . Cosby seemed startled by the commotion as protesters chanted at him, but he was not touched and is uninjured.

Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Trusted Tristan Thompson's Original Denial
That same month, Kardashian traveled to Cleveland to support Thompson as he and the Cavaliers received their championship rings. Blair apparently said she didn't know Khloe was pregnant , which totally makes fucking someone else's man okay.

Bloomin' Brands; Delta Air Lines; Rite Aid — CORPORATE REPORT
The ratio turned negative due to DAL positioning: 54 sold and 267 reduced. 104 funds opened positions while 251 raised stakes. The transportation company reported $0.74 EPS for the quarter, topping the Zacks' consensus estimate of $0.73 by $0.01.

Music videos altered by hackers at Vevo
In the list of victims was clips Chris brown , Shakira , DJ Snake , Selena Gomez , Drake , Katie Perry and Taylor swift . Surrey University cyber-security expert Alan Woodward told the BBC News that it probably took more work to gain access.

Simbine, Ahye win 100m gold
After crossing the line, the 31-year-old did two push-ups on the track to show his fitness and grinned at the TV camera.

Donald Trump just made the Masters all about him
Never one to back down from a fight, Patrick Reed sure had one on his hands Sunday in the final round of the 82nd Masters . But there's something about the position he's in that can be hard on which to sleep, and the others around him know that.